Friday

Lolita (1997) Adrian Lyne


Starring: Jeremy Irons, Dominique Swaine, Melanie Griffith, Frank Langella
"Lolita, Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul..."

I consider Vladimir Nabokov's 1955 novel Lolita to be one of my favourite books. There are two notable Adaptions of Lolita the first released in 1962 directed by the legendary Stanley Kubrick, and the second the 1997 release directed by Adrian Lyne.







Personally ( despite being a Kubrick fan) after having read the book before hand I found myself more attracted to the more recent production. Lyne's imagery seemed closer to the imagery I had constructed whilst reading the novel. For those who don't know Lolita tells the tale of Humbert Humbert who falls in love with a young nymph who he calls Lolita. After her mother dies he takes Lolita on a road trip in the aim to escape the guilt he has about his relationship, however the strain between Lolita and Humbert soon becomes evident.






Lolita 1997 is quaint and conjures a sense of innocence. Which I think matches the literature versions of the characters. There is something subtly beautiful about the way that Lyne captures the relationship between Lolita and Humbert and his techniques allow room for the character relationships to flourish on screen. I highly recommend you watch this movie in the near future!